How do we maximize all the ways that life can get better as we age… and yet also meet the very real stresses of aging with as much grace and control as we can? To meet these needs, the Institute of Noetic Sciences (IONS) developed a Conscious Aging program that examines the emotional, psychological and spiritual issues of aging.
Friends of Hospice will sponsor two Conscious Aging workshops each year, using certified instructors also on staff at Partners In Care. Both instructors have also participated in The Sacred Art of Living program and have extensive experience in hospice care and grief counseling.
Conscious Aging next begins September 19, meeting every Monday afternoon from 2–4 pm for eight consecutive weeks. The cost for Friends of Hospice members is just $100 for the entire series, which covers the cost of the study guide, light refreshments, and facilitators. The cost for non-members is $200.
The desired outcomes of the Conscious Aging workshop include:
- Explore assumptions about aging, and how they might limit our worldview and own aging process
- Develop self-compassion to effectively cope with change, worry, and stress associated with aging
- Discover and reflect on what gives meaning and purpose to our lives and how that affects our own aging
- Enhance connection and reduce isolation from others by understanding our shared humanity in the aging process
- Reduce fear and increase acceptance in the presence of death and dying for ourselves and for our loved ones